The Ambassador program is designed to educate and empower 5 Gyres’ global network of supporters to take action against plastic pollution. Ambassadors are key volunteers who are provided with a solid background on plastic pollution research, policy, and solutions, coupled with training and tools to help them become leaders and take action against plastic pollution within their local communities. We currently have 471 Ambassadors from 37 American states and 53 countries in our program—ages eight to nearly 80! Shout out to 14-year-old Ambassador Hannah Testa, who singlehandedly convinced Georgia's state legislature to name February 15th "Plastic Pollution Awareness Day."
In 2018, 5 Gyres will amplify participation in the Ambassador program through the use of an app that allows these volunteers to better communicate with each other and with the general 5 Gyres community. The app will incentivize activities that Ambassadors can take to further the organization’s goal of a world free of plastic pollution, such as hosting an event, attending a council meeting in support of a single-use plastic ban, or encouraging a restaurant to eliminate polystyrene products such as togo containers or straws. By measuring the actions that Ambassadors take, 5 Gyres can better gauge their impact. Click the points on our map to learn more about these activists in your community!
AS A 5 GYRES AMBASSADOR, HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- Free downloads of informational presentations that you can use to share our mission with your community.
- Access to a directory of resources that can help tailor messaging to presentation opportunities.
- Volunteer opportunities on our programs, events and activities.
- Our eternal gratitude for helping us fight plastic pollution and changing the world!
AS A 5 GYRES AMBASSADOR, HERE’S WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU:
- Annually lead and/or attend at least two events that focus on raising awareness about reducing plastic. These do not have to be 5 Gyres event and can include in-person or virtual events that you are doing for your own initiatives, such as speaking to a classroom or business, promoting a social media initiative, conducting and sharing scientific and/or citizen science research on plastic pollution, producing a video, and more!
- Positively promote 5 Gyres in a professional way.
- Remain plastic free by using reusable bottles, cups, utensils and bags while representing 5 Gyres, and ideally in your daily life as well.
- While representing 5 Gyres, only participate in events that are plastic free; if this is not possible, publicly address the reasons why the event is not and consider speaking with organizers about how they can reduce their plastic footprint.
- Document activities on social media using the #5GyresAmbassador hashtag and tagging photos with @5Gyres, and/or email marina[at]5gyres.org with photos and details from the event so she can share on your behalf.
WANT TO BE A 5 GYRES AMBASSADOR?
Thank you to our program sponsors!